Super Beans - Lynnea's Story

Lynnea is a beautiful and bright little girl who has always been so happy and full of life. In October of 2013 she started showing signs that something was just not right, her activity levels dropped and she was much more tired than usual. It was not until late in October that a little tumble with her brother sent her into the ER, she seemed to have injured her leg and we had never heard her scream in such pain before. We rushed her in to the emergency and after a two hour wait she was up and running around again so we took her home. That evening after she awoke from her nap that same pain was back and she could not bear weight on her leg. 

In the weeks that followed we had seen several doctors who diagnosed the pain as a sprain. Seeing her deteriorate so much and her no longer being able to walk we begged for x-rays, the ER doctor was quite astonished that the level of pain Lynnea was exhibiting could not be explained and the x-rays showed nothing. The ER doctor immediately referred us to a pediatrician and Lynnea was seen that same afternoon. After combing through Lynnea’s medical history and all the events that had led us up to that day the Pediatrician ordered a simple blood test. The blood test revealed the answer we were looking for and it was not anything we had ever expected.
Lynnea was air lifted to the BC Children’s Hospital immediately, it is a 5 hour drive from our home town. We arrived there in the early morning hours on November 11, 2013 completely exhausted with our emotions in over drive. No one had been able to explain what was happening with Lynnea or what her test results revealed but when I saw we were being brought to the Oncology ward the terrifying reality set in. I spent hours talking with Lynnea’s new doctor and she explained that Lynnea’s blood test reviled a Type of Leukemia and after a series of tests it would turn out to be Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Lynnea’s cancer cells were found both in her peripheral blood and her spinal fluid. Lynnea’s blood counts were at such a critically low level and she needed multiple blood transfusions before she could even begin chemotherapy. Lynnea was diagnosed just 2 weeks before her 2nd Birthday.
At the age of two and a half she has already undergone more than anyone should, she has had multiple surgeries and surgical procedures. Lynnea has had blood work and chemotherapy treatments every single week at minimum since diagnosis. These medications have left her almost unrecognizable at times, they have made her body swell and loose weight, caused pain and nausea and for her to lose her beautiful brown curls. There is not a single day where she has not been required to take some form of medication, many of which have serious side effect and required a great deal of planning in order for her to take them.
Throughout all of this she has managed to keep a vibrant and incredible smile on her face while growing into an intelligent and happy little girl. Although she is still very limited in her activities she continues to grow into her own true self. She still had 18 months of Chemotherapy treatments ahead of her and many trips to the BC Children’s Hospital in the next few years. This past few months have been extremely difficult to put it mildly and we would never have made it this far without the generosity of our community and loved ones. I wanted to provide a safe place for people who still continue to support her in her journey. This is proving to be far more expensive than anyone could have predicted with all the travel and unforeseen medical costs that are not covered. We are truly grateful to all her supporters and followers who have allowed me to spend every moment I can caring for her.
Lynnea loves clothes and the Peekaboo beans lines have meant the world to her, she love to dress up and it even makes her feel better.

Click HERE to find out more and support Lyneea. 

No comments: