What happened in 2005:
- (Bird Flu) H5N1 strain of Avian Flu claims more lives in Indonesia and other countries around the globe;
- Microsoft releases the Xbox 360 gaming console in North America;
- Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle, killing thousands and costing over $100 billion in damages;
- Apple announces iTunes 5;
- Canada becomes the fourth country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage, after the bill C-38 received its Royal Assent;
- Steve Nash becomes the first Canadian player to win the NBA MVP Award;
- Wayne Gretzky is appointed executive director of Team Canada for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy;
- Michael Jackson found not guilty on all 10 counts during his child molestation trial;
- After a lockout, which wiped out the entire 2004-05 NHL Season, NHL hockey returns to play; and
- Peekaboo Beans was born.
Not from some Ivy League scholars, smoking cigars and discussing what the latest apparel trends are for children; or by a multinational "fast fashion" company looking to expand their market...
It was all started by a Mom. A Mom who wanted something better and questioned the fundamental needs of children starting with what they wear everyday.
From the spare room of my sister in law's house, to the basement of my home. From a small little warehouse, to our corporate "Playground" today.
Our vision and mission has never wavered: "Let Kids Play". Play is the work of childhood.
Play is becoming a lost art. We must stand up and ensure our children play - for the future.
Thank you does not measure up to what I want you to know about how I feel about your dedication to Peekaboo Beans. Thank you is something quick off the tongue that seems appropriate to say. But it doesn't say enough - for you are helping this little Canadian company ensure we make our mark on the world:
- By being a stand for a product that won't hit the landfill because it is made better;
- By being a stand for ethical manufacturing processes;
- By being a stand for a workforce where Moms can be celebrated and embraced in our "family first" culture;
- By being a stand for play. The simple elegant practice of learning and growing without strings attached.
Peekaboo Beans is what children ask for by name. Children do not have filters; they can't tell you a lie. They can only share what is pure and necessary. Beans make them feel good and happy.
So, here we are. We make clothes so children can play.
The choice to be an entrepreneur is not the easy path in life, but even just one happy bean in the world is the fuel that drives us forward everyday. Let there be a land of happy beans sprouting up everywhere so they can play and we can smile.
Playfully and gratefully yours,